Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The dressy dresser (My first post!)

I am so excited for my first post! Since this is my first you're going to have to bear with me (I really have no idea what I'm doing with this whole blog thing)  =)

Alrighty. THIS little beauty was given to us by a friend of ours. Not the most beautiful thing in the world, but she had good lines and LOTS of drawers.






I knew right away that this was going in my husband and I's room. I originally planned on it going white, but was up for something different so I decided on black. ( Our room is all black and white with a beautiful gray on our walls.) So I unscrewed the mirror and got to work!

Bring on the primer!


And here comes the black! (I was sooooo excited with the results!)



Now since this lady was so old, ahem, antique, I had a lot of trouble finding pulls that would match up with the existing holes. I thought about just spray painting them but they were way too intricate and I was afraid that there would be a lot of paint build-up. Soooo we got some Spackle to fill 'er in!
                                                             (BEFORE)


                                                                     (AFTER!)


Isn't she gaw-geous?! I originally wanted to put glass knobs of the 3 drawers but decided to go cheap and get some white monogrammed knobs instead. The smaller pulls were the cheapest I could find at Menard's and the longer 2 on the bottom? Yeah I kinda stole them from our kitchen cabinets. But I won't tell if you don't  =)

Here's a couple tips I learned along the way: (maybe common sense to some..)

       - Use the best quality spray paint you can afford. It will be worth it!
       - If you want a glossy finish, buy glossy spray paint. It will save you a step of spraying a gloss on it.
       -You don't have to buy the "prettiest" or most expensive knobs/handles to get a great look
       -Always measure the doorways that the finished product will be going through. Yeah, lots of touch-up.

Well that's it! How did I do? I'm totally in love with our new dresser and am so happy I went for the black. Here's another look, just cuz she's so purdy =)


Oh, and remember that mirror that was attached to it? Well I have other plans for it.....stay turned!


 Thrifty Decor Chick's spray paint party
Miss Mustard Seed's Furniture feature Friday

4 comments:

  1. I really like the black, great job! I am working on a bunch of projects and just added spray painting to my basket of tricks this last month :) I was thinking if I paint our old dresser that I would have to fill in the old handle spots for the same reason - glad to see it works so well. Congrats on the first post. :) Feel free to pop over and visit my blog as well :)

    JC
    http://beforebabyiknewitall.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on you first post! Great job on the dresser, it looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic first post! Your dresser turned out so wonderful! Love the black and the new knobs add punch to this!
    Stopping by from Miss Mustard Seed here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job! It looks good! I think you did great on your first post. I'm on 70 something and still need to learn A LOT! I'm your newest follower. Hope you can visit me sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete