Monday, May 30, 2011

Thee mirror

First and foremost I want to say a big "Happy Memorial Day!" to everyone out there. May God keep the lives of our soldiers safe and God bless all soldiers past, present and future. Please pray for our soldiers at home and abroad.









Remember this lovely Dresser?
Well I told you I was going to do something with the mirror too. I know it's kind of hard to see in this pic but it was basically just a plain mirror with a piece of plywood behind it. Sooooo I glued the mirror to the plywood (after detaching it from the dresser) with a mirror adhesive.

Very important to let this dry completely and on a flat surface. 
Then I found some molding for a steal at Menard's that was pre-primed and 8ft long. I used a
Miter box with saw to miter the corners.

Now I know it should go without saying that if your molding has any kind of design at all on it to pay attention to how you are sawing so that the pattern matches up. I may or may not have wasted a bit of wood because I was not paying attention =)

I used the same mirror adhesive to attach the molding to the mirror. If you have clamps now would be a good time to use them. I do not. Therefore I used heavy objects on top praying it would work just as good.
After a couple of days in my garage (I'm sure it sets faster, but I wanted to be absolutely sure) I brought out the HEAVY mirror to caulk the corners. Let me just say this : Caulk is your friend. It will hide a multitude of sins.  
Here's the finished product!
(cat not included =) )


As you can see there is a gap from all the layers being glued together. I'm going to try and find a thin piece of trim to finish it off but just haven't got to it yet. Doh! Oh well anyways... what do you think? This thing is HU-U-UGE! So I'm kind of scared to hang it on the wall. I just leaned in against it for now until I find a better solution.  P.S That dresser that its on...yeah that pretty white one...$3. At a garage sale! I didn't even do anything to it! Score!! =)



No comments:

Post a Comment